Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Baby Steps and Chocolate.

Today, after eating my rather large half sandwich for lunch, I sat at my desk trying to overcome the overwhelming desire for potato chips and chocolate. I would have settled for anything sweet and/or salty and/or crunchy. I couldn't stop thinking about carbs, which really bothered me because the reason why my half sandwich was rather large was because it was on this super thick, rosemary infused, super fluffy and delicious bread. Give me some of that and a tub of butter and I could eat it all day, every day for the rest of my life (just kidding. Please don't because I really will). Then I remembered reading something a while back about how you should go for a walk when you're craving something unhealthy and by the time you get back the craving will have subsided. Being that it's a nice, cool, sunny day here in Fresno, I really didn't have any excuses not to give this theory a try.

Although I didn't time myself, I think I walked for about 20 minutes. Not great, but not bad considering it was on my lunch break at work where I usually do absolutely nothing but eat lunch. I didn't speed walk, but I walked fast enough to elevate my heart rate slightly, become a tiny bit short of breath, and to create a cramp in my calf that felt like it was being stabbed with a knife. It's all good though because if there's no pain, there's no gain, right? Although I'm not trying to gain, I'm trying to lose. I'm hoping it helps with that, too.

As an added bonus, they say that it's good for you to get a small amount of sun everyday sans sunblock because it's supposed to fight depression and increase vitamin D levels (which, according to my doctor I have unbelievably low levels of). Unfortunately, I haven't been out in the sun in what seems like months. The warmth did feel good on my face. I may even do it again tomorrow.

After my walk I came back to my desk and ate an apple. I can live with that choice.






No comments:

Post a Comment