Sunday, January 6, 2013

Crazy Lazy

Today is a cold and rainy day. I don't know if that's why I feel the way I do or if it's something else. I woke up with my back and head all achy and the four Advil I took don't seem to be doing anything for me. I'm attempting to be productive but I sit back down every 5 minutes or so to check Facebook (which actually is nothing new but it seems worse today). I ate a healthy breakfast consisting of 2 eggs, spinach, reduced fat crumbled sausage and wheat sourdough toast. I even made enough to bring tomorrow to work. I showered, started prepping a piece of furniture I am planning on refinishing, and made a big glass of apple, pluot, kale and ginger root juice. But I'm having a hard time motivating myself to do anything else.

These kinds of days bug me. I spend all week thinking about things I want to make and projects I want to start (and hopefully eventually finish), but when the weekend finally comes I mess around and procrastinate by doing other things that are much less meaningful. People say it's because my body is telling me I need a break, but I don't buy it. It's not like I'm lacking in the sleep department. I get 8 hours, if not more every night. My job isn't exactly overly strenuous. I sit at my computer all day and once in a while I paint something. I really think it has to do with the fact that I haven't been exercising.

Exercising is a catch 22. They say the more you exercise, the more energy you'll have, but you need energy to start exercising in the first place! I wish I could get artificial energy from coffee or 5 Hour Energy Shots, but they have little to no effect on me. I could drink a pot of coffee at 11 pm and fall right to sleep. I get so jealous of these people who wake up at the crack of dawn and go non-stop the entire day. Just once I'd like to experience that. I have to hit snooze 12 times before I actually get up in the morning, which actually adds stress to my day right off the bat because I'm always afraid that I'm going to turn off the alarm by mistake and oversleep. I look forward to weekends mostly just so I can sleep in for two days. It's pretty pathetic.

Maybe I set too many goals for myself. This weekend I had planned on finishing my mosaic project, painting the hallway in my house and starting to refinish that piece of furniture. While I worked on some of it, I am far from finished with any of it. Plus now the house looks like a bomb went off in it. The solution is easy enough. I need to step away from the computer and just start going at it. But that's easier said than done, for me, anyway.

My goal for today is to get some exercise before the day is over. Not only will that be good for my body, it will also be good for my spirit because I'll be so glad I did it. I'm leaning towards putting in the Wii Zumba game I've been using as a coaster since it came in the mail before Christmas. I should be able to handle it....put one foot in front of the other until I reach the Wii, pop in the disc and turn it on. I know once it starts playing it will be fun, so the only really difficult part is making it play. I'd like to think I can handle it, though. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I have the EXACT same kind of days Laura! A lot of it for me is because of a thyroid problem but I know that exercise helps me overcome that issue. If you're anything like me, I set all kinds of goals, I get excited about things I want to accomplish, art projects I want to start or complete and I get completely fired up. Then the day comes for me to start and I think I get overwhelmed mentally because I can't get anything done. I haven't figured out how to break the pattern other than not setting such lofty goals and giving myself a break when I fall. It's a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete